/ Volunteer / Work / Intern
As a non profit organization,
Shotgun Players relies on individual donations to make this theatre
run. If you would like to make a 100% tax-deductible donation
to the Shotgun Players, please click
here to learn how.
We can't do what we do without you. Thanks.
We also keep an updated
list of Wishlist items on our site
that we invite you to check out. If you have any of these things
that you would like to donate please contact
Call the office for upcoming
volunteer opportunities! (510) 841-6500 or email Liz at liz-at-shotgunplayers-dot-org.
From helping sew to database input to nailing wood together for
a set, we can always use help.
Shotgun is looking for volunteers
who are interested in ushering at the Ashby Stage. The duties
include coming an hour and ten minutes prior to the performance,
help set up, distribute programs, answer questions and check tickets,
assist the House Manager at intermission and help clean up after
the show. Volunteers get a seat saved for the performance! Please
contact boxoffice-at-shotgunplayers-dot-org if
you are interested. Thanks!
Box Office Associate at Shotgun Players
Care to venture out into the performance world with a frisky gang of play-makers called the Shotgun Players? We are looking for an energetic, upbeat and practical person with excellent communication skills and a can-do attitude to help with Box Office and front of house. For the right candidate, this position offers the opportunity for growth with a nonprofit that is constantly expanding, evolving, and producing cutting-edge theater.
- Running Box Office on Sunday afternoons during Shotgun productions and Monday evenings for Cabarets on off-weeks. We have programming 38-40 weeks per year.
- Running live Box Office phone hours on Sundays and Mondays.
- Using our ticketing software to sell tickets and assist subscribers, and generally promoting Shotgun shows to newcomers and longtime patrons alike.
- Assisting patrons with questions and complaints; communicating clearly Shotgun policies and accommodating requests when acceptable.
- Computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook is necessary, experience with ticketing software is a plus).
- Excellent organizational, multitasking, and customer service skills.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Grace, patience, and a sense of humor under pressure.
- Past experience with Box Office or front of house is appreciated but not required.
- 10-12 hours per week for Box Office; must be available Sundays and Mondays 12pm - 5:30pm.
- Additional shifts for House Managing and Concessions available Wednesday through Saturday 6pm-11pm.
- For the right person, there is also the possibility of additional daytime hours working as administrative support in our fantastic office.
- All work is done on site, at our theater in South Berkeley.
- A minimum 9-month commitment is required.
Box office compensation is $12 hourly. House Managing and Concessions shifts are $10 hourly.
Email a cover letter, resume, at least two references, and a few words on what you love most about theater to Shotgun Players Managing Director Liz Lisle: iiz-at-shotgunplayers-dot-org. Please put “Box Office Associate” in the subject line.
Deadline for applicants is November 30, 2012.
We love our interns! If
you are interested in learning more about non-profit theatre and
what's involved in getting a show on its feet, please send a cover
letter and resume our way to take part in our internship program.
Please include your areas of interest and your dates of
availability in your cover letter.
Cover letters and resumes
can be emailed to liz-at-shotgunplayers-dot-org, or can be mailed
1901 Ashby Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94703
We have a variety of different internships focuses at Shotgun.
Some of them are listed below. If you are interested in a specific
area or project, please let us know in your application.
The Shotgun Players offer a variety of rewarding internship opportunities
for theatre artists looking for practical, hands-on experience
in the fields of set, lighting, costume design and construction.
Interns in these fields will be expected to attend production
meetings, submit drawings and participate in the installation,
execution and strike of the project. Additionally, interns will
be expected to set a schedule with the director and/or lead designer
and be prepared to give and receive feedback on their progress.
Shotgun Players also offers internships for people interested
in Directing and Stage Management. Directing interns are expected
to attend and participate in all production meetings and rehearsals.
Directing interns should consider themselves Assistant Directors
and submit notes and observations to the director in written form.
Stage management interns should also expect to attend all production
meetings, rehearsals and performances of their assigned project.
They should assume that they will have specific responsibilities
and they should be prepared to give and receive feedback on their
If you are interested in an internship that explores the administrative
side of non-profit theatre, Shotgun has opportunities for you.
Areas of focus include Fundraising, Marketing, and General Operations.
The Shotgun Players' 2013
Season General Auditions dates have not yet been announced. Timeslots
will be allotted by appointment only. We are, however, always
collecting information for our electronic database.
Please send headshots and
resumes to us at: casting[at]shotgunplayers[dot]org.
Attach headshots as .jpg or .pdf files and resumes as .pdf or
.doc formats only. Please include your contact information (e-mail
and phone) in the body of the message.